Monday, November 23, 2009

Contrast

Sunrises and sunsets what is so breath taking about them? What is so visually appealing about them? I have had the honor of studying them on the west coast, east coast, and in the midwest of the United States, as well as in the Carribean these past 6 months. What comes to me over and over is the contrast. The light and dark meeting.

I remember my drawing teachers saying to me "darker...darker...make the dark darker". "Lighter lighter make the light lighter". It is the contrast that make the drawing pop. Next time you see a picture that you just love look for the light and dark see if there is a major difference between them.

This contrast is repeated in life. Good and bad, negative and positive, ying and yang. I keep thinking if we don't have experiences in life how can we compare and decide what we like. When people tell me "I don't like_____" I ask how do you know? Have you tried it? That is why we try different things, that is why we date different kinds of people. We need to weed out what works for us and what doesn't. Take chances, seek out experiences that can show you the contrast.



When you have something "good" or "bad" in your life let the contrast allow your life to be the breath taking picture it is meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment