Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wild Hair Woman



Having baby fine, wavy hair I have had difficulties keeping it under some sort of control for most of my life.

First memory of my hair is my Grandma Brown brushing it. She was in such a hurry and so rough that she brushed my ears. I remember the bristles scrapping the flesh which made me jump around. She scolded me that if I would keep it combed I would not be going through this right now.

I had a hard time understanding others who would not get their hair wet while we were swimming because they did not get their hair messed up. Hell, mine was messed up whether it was wet or not.

While traveling around for these past 2 years one of the difficult things is keeping my hair somewhat tame. On really wild hair mornings I like to show off my Phyllis Diller hairstyle, usually gets a good laugh! She is known for her wild hair, eccentric clothes and her laugh... hummm..... I might be on to something.

Just this week someone posted pictures of me on facebook from the Black Party I went to, I cringed a little bit at first when I saw them, my hair was a mess! Glad I could laugh and say oh well, who cares what your hair looked like, you had a great time. Look at yourself laughing and dancing and having fun. I received hugs from the people I had been dancing with on my way out the door, they did not care what my hair looked like either!

I have not always been that way, I refused to be in a sister picture just this past Christmas because I had morning hair!

In Brene Brown's book "I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't): Telling the Truth About Perfectionism, Inadequacy, and Power" she points out that Americans spent just under $12.5 billion on cosmetic procedures in 2004. (I wonder what it was in 2010?)

The $38 billion hair industry.
The $33 billion diet industry.
The $24 billion skincare industry.
The $18 billion makeup industry.
The $15 billion perfume industry.
The $13 billion cosmetic surgery industry.

"That's a whole bunch of folks depending on us to see and believe messages that sell the social-community expectations of appearance. If we don't believe we're too fat, ugly and old, then they don't sell their products, they don't make their house payments. The pressure is on!"

Getting back on track of finding my value in WHO I AM not what I look l like. Not sure how I got derailed but it feels good to get on that train again!

Chugga! Chugga! Choo! Choo! I am hanging my head out the window to catch the breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment